[gdal-dev] Re: Thanks: Missing msvcr80.dll ?

Martin Hvidberg Martin at Hvidberg.net
Sun Sep 6 08:28:14 EDT 2009

>     I got my GDAL from gdal.org <http://gdal.org> (gdalwin32exe160.zip)
>
>     It works on my XP nootebook but not on our 'Window Server 2003'
>

> Hmmm... Just by looking into this package
> (http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.6/gdalwin32exe160.zip) I don't
> see any dependencies to msvcr80.dll. Looks like most of the dlls have
> been build with MSVC2003 (msvcrt71) and geos have been build with
> MSVC2008 (msvcr90)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

I wouldn't know... But every time I run a Python script that has the
line 'import gdal' or more exactly, the following block.

------8<--------------
try:
	from osgeo import gdal
	from osgeo.gdalconst import *
	gdal.TermProgress = gdal.TermProgress_nocb
except ImportError:
	import gdal
	from gdalconst import *

it generates a popup window that states:

"Python.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

The exact same python script, runs like a dream, from the same directory
, when I execute it from the FWtools.

This tells me that all the needed files are on the machine, but someting
is not linked together or referenced correct from the ordinary command line.

:-) Martin