[gdal-dev] Re: Thanks: Missing msvcr80.dll ?

Martin Hvidberg Martin at Hvidberg.net
Mon Sep 7 13:48:47 EDT 2009

> Martin,
>
> The package you've mentioned above doesn't contain python bindings
> (http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.6/gdalwin32exe160.zip) so I
> wonder how it would ever work in a particular machine. If you install
> FWTools and you run the application from the FWTools command prompt you
> pick up the related files from the FWTools installation not from the
> gdalwin32 package.
> I admit I'm a bit lost what's the issue here as you mention your FWTools
> package is working correctly. In any case, I would not recommend you to
> use this one of gdalwin32, since it looks pretty old (2008-12-30) and
> not well maintained.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

That is very definitely a problem: "GDAL only work if you also install
FWtools". I hardly think that was the intention when moving maintainense
over from Frank to OSgeo.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'dosn't contain python bindings'. I'm not
an expert on 'bindings'. But you are right that it is normal to have
some files in the Python '\lib\site-packages\' in order for things to work.

What GDAL would you recommend that is not 'pretty old' and 'not well
maintained', if not the one found on the official GDAL web site.

:-) Martin