[gdal-dev] Shape files 3D -> 2D

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 05:49:25 EDT 2009

Christoph,

It looks like all three methods are working as they should.

In the first one, the ogr2ogr converts it to two dimensions,.
In the second one, the shapefile driver does that.
In the third method you are getting the geometry type, which is in wkb
format. I would guess them to contain the 3D lines you processed in the
previous two methods.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Christoph Dohmen
<christoph.dohmen at cae.de>wrote:

>  > You're not very explicit about what you want to do. From the tile, I
> guess
> > you want to get rid of the Z coordinate of the geometry to produce 2D
> only
> > geometries ?
>
> Okay, sorry, I will describe it with more detail.
>
> I have a shape file where ogrinfo reports it is a "Geometry: 3D Line
> String".
> Each object is reported as "LINESTRING" with x-, y- and z-value.
> If I use "-nlt LINESTRING" I get a file where ogrinfo reports that the file
> is a "Geometry: Line String" and the elements are "LINESTRING" with
> only a x- and y-value.
> If I try the "-lco SHPT=ARC" option, it's the same.
> But, if I iterate over those files in my application and query the
> geometry to get the geometry-type via "getGeometryType()" it reports
> a "wkbGeometryCollection".
>
> Any hints?
>
> Christoph

Chaitanya kumar CH.