Re: [gdal-dev] GDALGetProjectionRef(...) problem on filetype JPEG and BMP

Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Thu Sep 17 08:21:57 EDT 2009

Alex,

There is nothing wrong with that. If you gdal_translate a TIF to BMP the projection/reference will be stored on a
.bmp.aux.xml. The question is, why in the process of creating those BMP and JPG the auxiliary files are not been
created.

Regards,

Ivan

JPG and BMP returns an empty string.

>    Used as:
>    There have been downloaded sources from http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal162.zip
>  Sources was built using Visual Studio 2005, the utility nmake, using the command line interface.
>    Then was opened raster map file with format MapInfo by my program. MapInfo file was created by using the
export map function of the MapInfo program.

>    I used the C API library GDAL. In the body of the program:
>
>  GDALDatasetH pDataset = GDALOpen("map_filename", GA_ReadOnly);
>
>    and
>
>  GDALGetGeoTransform(...) and GDALRasterIO(...)
>
>    Then I opened the map file and exported part of it to coordinatesof I needed.
>    It worked with the map file format map_filename.tif + map_filename.tab, map_filename.jpg +
map_filename.tab,map_filename.bmp + map_filename.tab.

>    Then I could to get access to the map coordinates in the format .TIF using the function:
>
>  GDALGetProjectionRef(pDataset)
>
>    which returned the projection maps of the form <wkt format projection string>, as was intended.
>
>    But when opening files type .JPG and .BMP
>
>  GDALGetProjectionRef (pDataset)
>
>    returns an empty string "".
>    I think that the library is somehow obtains a coordinate system maps, because
>  GDALGetGeoTransform (...) work.
>
>    Please specify how i can get a system of map coordinates for these files are JPG and BMP and import it into an
object of class OGRSpatialReference.