[gdal-dev] pixel/line mapping for two images.

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 17 16:52:24 EDT 2009

Belaid MOA wrote:
> I wrote a GDAL C++ code that solves the following simple problem:
> take two images, a source image with spatial resolution 25mx25m (high
> resolution) and a destination image with spatial resolution
> 10000mx10000m (low resolution) and scale the source image so that the
> values of the pixels in the source image that are mapped to the same
> pixel P in the destination image sum up to the value of P.

you really want the sum, rather than an average?

Anyway, it seems you could use gdal_warp for this, with maybe a
multiplication at the end to get a sum rather than an average.

 > As a side
> note, the two images have different projections.

That's more than a side note -- this is trivial if there were no
projection change. Could you do them in separate steps? Change the
projection of the high-res image, then do your down sampling. That might
make it pretty easy to do with the gdal utilities.

> Briefly, the arithmetic that computes the overlap is:

given your large difference in resolution, you may be able to keep it
simpler -- only use those pixels in the source wholly contained in the
destination pixel -- I doubt you'd see a difference.

>  As you can see, the ratio 1/2*(SrcXRes/DstXRes) is so small that I do
> not get smooth image

That's a big change in resolution if your source data is not that
smooth, you're not going to get a smooth result.

> Am I doing something wrong in my arithmetic?

not that I could quickly see, but give yourself some really simple test
cases to make sure.

You also might want to test without the re-projection, as that will be
easier to see if you've done it right.

> Should I apply an average filter to smoothen the image?

That is entirely dependent on your application.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov