[gdal-dev] Reading/Converting .GDB files ?

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Fri Sep 18 09:39:28 EDT 2009

Felix,

That sounds like it is in ArcGIS "file geodatabase" format. As far as I
know, OGR cannot read that format. OGR can read ArcGIS "personal
geodatabase" format with the PGEO driver. If you know someone with ArcGIS,
ask them to convert the file geodatabase to a personal geodatabase and then
you can use the PGEO driver. (Or just ask them to extract the data to
shapefiles, if that is easier.)

Personal geodatabases are actually just Microsoft Access databases with a
certain schema. File geodatabases are a proprietary binary format. ESRI
introduced file geodatabases in ArcGIS 9.2, perhaps to address a 2GB size
limitation of personal geodatabases imposed by Microsoft Access. Although
the two formats have similar names, it is not a simple matter to modify the
PGEO driver to read file geodatabases. An entirely new driver must be
developed. I read previously that the OGR team would not consider this until
ESRI provides documentation or an API. I can't find the exact email message
but this one gives you the idea:
http://wiki.postgis.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2008-February/018593.html

If anyone has an update on that, please let us know...

Best regards,

Jason