[gdal-dev] Problems with TIFF internal symbols

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Mon Sep 21 06:23:18 EDT 2009

Hi Francesco,
thanks for your feedback

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie at debian.org>
To: "Antonio Valentino" <antonio.valentino at tiscali.it>
Cc: <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] Problems with TIFF internal symbols

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 08:55:03AM +0200, Antonio Valentino wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I'm trying to use OTB (Orfeo ToolBox) on Debian Sid with GDAL 1.6.2 and
>> I get a lot of segmentation fault related to GDAL and TIFF files.
>>
>> A guy on the OTB mailing list suggested that it could depend on the
>> "with-hide-internal-symbols" flag used for Debian packages.
>>
>> See thread
>>
>> http groups dot google dot com
>> /group/otb-users/browse_thread/thread/be8ad5e263aafe14
>>
>> (sorry the spam filter of my ISP keeps blocking this message)
>>
>> Is the above hypothesis correct?
>> How can we solve the issue in this case?
>>

>> Best regards
>>

> The only problem found in the past with that option was:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-grass/packages/gdal/trunk/debian/patches/cpl_dll.dpatch?revision=2232&view=markup
>
> and it was detected at linking time. It seems OTB is misusing the original
> TIFF API or exploting
> some inner problems of the same library. Note that

If my understanding is correct OTB implements some check at configuration
time in order to determine whenever GDAL exposes TIFF/GeoTIFF simbols or
not.

http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/591cba0c0fb0/CMakeLists.txt#l499

At first look the procedure seems to be correct but segmentation faults
arise when the GDAL file reader try to open/create TIFF files (the debugger
stops on the m_hDriver->Create call or so.

I can't figure out why this happens, just I hoped someone more expert than
me could provide some hint.

> the geotiff internal gdal library has been used since 1.6.0 in debian, the
> old one used the same
> library you are now linking with the default configuration. So the
> objection seems pointless.

Yes, no problem with GDAL packages of version < 1.6.0.

I'm aware that the change (use of internal libtiff) happened in 1.6.0
packages so I guessed the problem could be related to a bad handling of
libtiff symbols.
I wonder if there is some particular advice on how to build/link client
code.

Best regards

--
Antonio VALENTINO