[gdal-dev] OGRGeometry Distance

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 21 14:32:10 EDT 2009

Yilmaz Arslanoglu wrote:
> I wanted to compute the distance between two points,

you need to be clear by what you mean here: I suspect you mean:

"The shortest distance between two points following the surface of the
earth"

In which case, what you are looking for is referred to as the geodesic
distance:

http://www.vterrain.org/Misc/distance.html

To do this accurately (and you may not need much accuracy!) on an
ellipsoid requires a fair bit of math. I don't know if it's built in to
OGR or PROJ at this point, but there are a few libraries out that that
do it, including Gerald I. Evenden's "geodesic" lib, which can be found
here:

http://home.comcast.net/~gevenden56/geodesy/project/

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov