[gdal-dev] Translating between UTM and Geographic

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Sep 23 14:05:09 EDT 2009

Amanda,

You didn't specify why you believe that the coordinates you get are not right.
Are you validating against another reference tool ? Could you give an example of
input, the output you get and the output you expect.

Here's what I've tried with the gdaltransform utility (in latest FWTools 2.4.3
or with GDAL trunk):

Run : gdaltransform -s_srs EPSG:26711 -t_srs EPSG:4326
Enter and validate : 500000 4500000
I get : -117.000936113198 40.6526705145738 0

If you have built yourself Proj4 and you don't get the above results, a
possibility might that you have not built it with support for datum shift grids.
See http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ for more details.

Best regards,

Even