[gdal-dev] Re: OGRGeometry Distance

Yilmaz Arslanoglu yilmaz.arslanoglu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 05:32:39 EDT 2009

>>you need to be clear by what you mean here: I suspect you mean:
>>
>>"The shortest distance between two points following the surface of the
>>earth"

Yes Chris, you are right. Actually my purpose is to make a bathymetric
prediction of a given position, with the help of the contours and sounding
points at hand. I just thought that it would be a better idea to take shortest
distances in calculations (maybe the Kriging) rather than using pure lat-lon
values. So does it make sense to use the geodesic distances for the
closeness criteria?