[gdal-dev] vrt performance with 1000's of tiles?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 5 15:20:00 EDT 2010

I thinking of creating a vrt for approx 19000 geotiff DEM tiles (SRTM).  Any comments on the performance or practicality of this?  Is there a difference in performance between Geotiff and GRASS as the tile format?

Mainly it's so I can easily extract regions for projects, so it would be one-shot gdal_translate runs.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan