[gdal-dev] KyngChaos Frameworks: GDAL's numpy vs Enthought's numpy

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Mon Apr 19 11:50:22 EDT 2010

I recall a recent discussion regarding an "ABI breakage" with numpy 1.4.
Please see
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2010-February/048203.html.
Perhaps this could be the problem? The thread is very long and I did not
follow it to the end.

> GDAL python *should* be able to use a later version of numpy than it was
built for, it's only the python side of the interface that it cares about

Yes, but GDAL's Python bindings access numpy's Python interface through C,
right? I presume the GDAL Python bindings include numpy.h. If so, then it
seems likely that a change to numpy's binary interface could result in an
incompatibility.

I have not researched this fully. My apologies if I do not know what I'm
talking about here. My apologies if I'm starting a false rumor...

Jason