[gdal-dev] Re: KyngChaos Frameworks: GDAL's numpy vs Enthought's numpy

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Apr 21 10:22:37 EDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 8:40 AM, K.-Michael Aye wrote:

> Hm, if it's really that mindless of a task now, could you not build a GDAL for numpy 1.4.0, pretty please? :)
> Or would we have other problems then, due to this ABI break (which, I confess, i totally not understand).

If I did, it would be 1.4.1RC, not 1.4.0, because officially 1.4.0 does not exist any more because of the ABI problem.  There wouldn't be any problems within the Enthought python environment, but anyone using numpy from my GDAL, or a different numpy with my GDAL, in other Python distributions would then run into the ABI problem.

The problem is in Enthought's python, for using the retracted numpy, and they need to update their numpy (which could be a while if they don't want to use RC versions).  I'm afraid I can't support using numpy 1.4.0.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan