[gdal-dev] Merge the overlapping results from gdal2tiles?

easyl thlin.box at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 16:40:32 EDT 2010

I trying to use gdal to generate web map tiles from several raster images
(map1.png, map2.png ...).
Each raster image is processed with these commands (gdal1.6)

>  gdal_translate -strict -of VRT -a_srs EPSG:4326 -gcp ... map1.png
> map1.vrt
>
>  gdalwarp -of VRT -r cubic -s_srs EPSG:4326 -t_srs EPSG:900913 map1.vrt
> map1.result.vrt
>
>  gdal2tiles -n -p mercator -z 0-11 -w google -t "map1"  target.result.vrt

After that I will get folders map1, map2 .... mapN containing tiles in
3-level hierarchical directories (zoom/x/y.png).

Now, how can I merge all of them into a single folder with all tiles kept in
their sub directories structure.

Another problem is, that some tiles with the identical same zoom/x/y.png may
can generated from
different source raster image.
In other words, I got several tile images with the identical tile name
(zoom/x/y.png)
which should be merged together.
How can I merge such tile result together?

Is there any utilities to do that?