[gdal-dev] RFC 29: OGR Set Desired Fields

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 11:17:42 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I do not agree with applications directly changing the OGRFieldDefn, even
> if ultimately the flag is stored here.  There needs to be a virtual method
> on the OGRLayer (IMHO) so that drivers have an opportunity to hook the
> method to do something special when the list of desired fields changes.
>
> I'm disappointed that several new methods will be added to the API, with
> distinct methods for geometry, and style.  I am always fighting to
> minimize the breadth of the API, within reason.  Hopefully you can weld
> these results into a RFC proposal we can vote on reasonably soon.

Hi Frank

I have updated the RFC so that it counts with addition of these new methods:
bool OGRFieldDefn::IsIgnored();
bool OGRFeatureDefn::IsGeometryIgnored();
bool OGRFeatureDefn::IsStyleIgnored();

... together with setters - only to be used internally by OGRLayer or
its derived classes. The only allowed way to set ignored fields will
be the SetIgnoredFields() call.

IMHO there are good reasons for adding the new methods, so I hope your
disappointment will be reduced by the increased performance of OGR :-)

Regards
Martin