[gdal-dev] How to retain double precision in GDAL?

Ole Nielsen ole.nielsen at aifdr.org
Fri Aug 6 02:50:15 EDT 2010

Dear group

We are using GDAL - both command line and Python bindings -  for much of our modelling work. However, we find that the library wants to round floating point numbers down to single precision (Float32 or DataType=6) where what we need for scientific computing is double precision (Float64 or DataType=7). We have been digging around the documentation and the Python binding source codes, but are running out of ideas.

Please find attached a small Python script with an ASCII test grid that reveals the issue. Data which is originally in double precision gets rounded to 6 decimal places if read directly by Gdal and also if converted first to GeoTIFF using gdal_translate -ot Float64 ... .

The output of the attached script is

ASCII datatype: 6 float32
TIF datatype:   7 float64

Data GDAL (ASC): 50.814723968505859
Data GDAL (TIF): 50.814723968505859
Data REF:        50.814723686393002

Error (ASC):     0.000000282112858
Error (TIF):     0.000000282112858

Grateful for your help
Cheers
Ole

Dr Ole Nielsen
Numerical Modeller
Australia-Indonesia Facility for Disaster Reduction
Mobile: +62 811 820 4637 | Phone: +62 21 398 30088 x1007 | Fax: +62 21 398 30068