[gdal-dev] Speed up MrSid warping

Jason Beverage jasonbeverage at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 11:34:18 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I have quite a few MrSid files that are in UTM that I want to mosaic
together into some epsg:4326 tiles.  I've written some python scripts
to produce the appropriate gdal_warp commands to create the tiles, but
they are running extremely slow.

I've read various mailing list posts and blogs about different options
for MrSid like this one:
http://priour.wordpress.com/2007/01/09/massive-performance-improvements-in-converting-mrsid-files/
which highlights using GDAL_FORCE_CACHING = YES to speed up a
gdal_translate when using MrSids.  I've also read about using
GDAL_ONE_BIG_READREAD to speed things up in MapServer.  Which option,
or any other options, would be helpful for gdal_warp?

Also, my MrSids are wrapped in VRTs to provide coordinate system info.
 If I use the VRTs will the GDAL_FORCE_CACHING and GDAL_ONE_BIGREAD
options be used?

Thanks!

Jason