[gdal-dev] Handling Ordnance Survey Change Only Updates

Jez Walters jez.walters at ipl.com
Mon Aug 16 08:50:33 EDT 2010

Hello fellow GDAL users!

I need to handle Change Only Updates (COU) for the UK Ordnance Survey
MasterMap Topography Layer, and I was wondering how to approach this.

Both the initial and COU data are supplied as GML, and I am currently
converting the initial data to ESRI shapefiles using ogr2ogr.  However, the
ogr2ogr "-update" option won't update the shapefiles using the COU data -
unless I'm missing something?

I currently see two ways of overcoming this:

1. Use the COU data to update the initial GML data, and then re-convert the
merged data to ESRI shapefiles
2. Use the COU data to directly update the ESRI shapefiles

Obviously the second approach is more efficient, but how difficult is it to
create, update and delete features using the GDAL python library?

A few pointers for how to achieve this would be most welcome!  :-)

Warm regards,

Jez