[gdal-dev] Re: how to (install) use gdal libraries in python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 18 12:31:14 EDT 2010

mail2vajram wrote:
> I followed the procedure what the link provided by you, but after when i
> used the simple code
>
> from osgeo import gdal
>
> in Python (ilde)
>
> when i run this code  i got the following exception.........
>

> "Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/Python27/ff.py", line 1, in <module>
>     from osgeo import gdal
> ImportError: No module named osgeo

so it didn't get installed to your python at all.

To help you, we'll need to know what version of python you are running,
and how you installed it, and exactly what you did to try to install
GDAL and python bindings.

NOTE: last I tried the "official GDAL binaries were not up to date, and
none of the other ones I found were compatible with the python binding
eggs without tweaking things. It would be nice to have one simple way to
get GDAL libs, utilities and python bindings all installed. (with the
python.org python, version 2.5 and 2.6 -- and maybe 2.7 now)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov