[gdal-dev] Working with USGS NED data

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 21:51:03 EDT 2010

Supposing that you had the road network and USGS NED data loaded into
GRASS, you could use the v.drape command:

http://grass.itc.it/grass65/manuals/html65_user/v.drape.html

You may be able to automate this, by looping over counties,
downloading the minimum NED required, running v.drape, and then saving
the result.

Alternatively, you could craft a python solution that loops over
vertices of the road network, and submits requests to the NED point
elevation lookup. This would obviously be very slow, and possibly
memory-bound--- therefor you would need to chunk the operation,
possibly by county.

Do you really need the precision of the 1/3 arc second data? You do
realize that this is possibly a multi-terabyte data set?

Cheers,
Dylan