[gdal-dev] KML's extendedData not visible

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Mon Aug 23 21:21:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 01:02:33  0200, Volker Fröhlich  wrote:

  > I've got a question concerning KML and OGR. I noticed, that QGIS
doesn't show
  > data within KML's <extendedData>. QGIS reads KML via OGR. QGIS' Jürgen E.
  > Fischer pointed out, ogrinfo doesn't show that data either.

Hi Volker-

  reading KML is limited, in both the KML driver and the newer LIBKML
driver.
There are several categories of reasons for this, here are a couple I
can think of now:

  * the internal format of ogr, Simple Features
  * the variety of possible KML input
  * KML as a display format, and not a data interchange format

  > The file in question was even written by ogr2ogr and the XML looks
perfectly
  > fine to me.

KML output is legal XML
both drivers output valid KML

  > Why doesn't OGR reveal the flat information in <extendedData>?
Would the other
  > KML driver (libkml) help?

  no, the LIBKML driver does not do what are looking for, either, as
far as I know
I would suggest as a work-around, to hold your data in some other format,
and just use KML as display, on demand.

hth
  -Brian

  > Volker Fröhlich