[gdal-dev] Re: Artifacts when presenting WMS based on a number of adjoining vrt files with overviews

jonas nielsen jonasln at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 10:47:40 EDT 2010

That is a very interesting question you are raising. Thank you :-)

Two solutions come to mind:

1: Change the parameters of gdaladdo to something that will produce an
integer division with the input data size. In this case, with 100k by 100k
px, that means it will no longer be multiples of two.
A test of this is in the making...

2: Keep using multiples of two for gdaladdo, but only as far as they produce
an integer division. When this point is reached a new "solid" image can then
be created with MapServers shp2img function. More overviews can then be
built on this as required. This potentially allows us to gather more and
more 10 km by 10 km blocks in these shp2img outputs, which should be good
for display performance, as fewer files needs to be accessed for display of
the entire dataset. It also means that both GDAL and MapServer are working
on the images several times over, and the impact of this on image quality is
unknown. Also, great care must be taken when making the mapfile for final
display in MapServer.

In your opinion, what would be the best work-around to solve this issue?

No matter what we do, we will probably have to use shp2img to build a
complete view of the entire dataset at the top level, to reduce file-access
and achieve good performance.

-Jonas