[gdal-dev] KML's extendedData not visible

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Wed Aug 25 20:33:13 EDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 6:11 PM, ext Volker Fröhlich wrote:

> Am Dienstag 24 August 2010, 05:36:40 schrieb christopher.schmidt at nokia.com:
>>>  no, the LIBKML driver does not do what are looking for, either, as
>>>
>>> far as I know
>>> I would suggest as a work-around, to hold your data in some other format,
>>> and just use KML as display, on demand.
>>
>> The libkml driver supports ExtendedData attributes as attributes of the
>> simple features in OGR, according to the author of the code, the last time
>> I talked with him.
>>
>> -- Chris
>
> We'll give libkml a try. I hope to know more by next week.
>
> Coming to what Brian said: It seems kind of contradicting to me. Since the KML
> is proper XML, it better serves as an exchange format, than it does for
> displaying, since it doesn't show anything besides geometry itsself.
>
> I can't imagine why it shouldn't be possible for flat data structure.

http://crschmidt.net/blog/archives/303/kml-html-for-the-geoweb/

KML is a complex and multifaceted, with an almost infinite variation
and flexible layout. Transforming *all* KML to a simple flat data structure
is difficult and in some cases, impossible to do effectively.

KML is a presentation format, not a data transfer format, ExtendedData
notwithstanding. Though there is some movement to come to a common way to
do data transfer with it, that is not the primary purpose of KML, and other
formats are definitely better suited.

-- Chris