[gdal-dev] ecw speckling in no-data area

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 26 09:51:42 EDT 2010

Ray D. Joslyn wrote:
> Is there any way to remove the speckling in ecw files in no-data areas
> and re-output to ecw?  There doesn’t seem to be a compression scheme for
> ecw that doesn’t produce these artifacts.  I have tried the nearblack
> utility, but it doesn’t seem to be able to create or re-write to an ecw
> file.

Ray,

To the best of my knowledge ecw compression is lossy, and not suitable to
exactly represent nodata areas with a specific value.  If you want to recover
nodata areas you need to use nearblack, writing to a new uncompressed (or at
least lossly compressed) output file in a format other than mrsid, or ecw.