[gdal-dev] I get the following error when running gdalwarp with the -multi switch: ERROR 1: CPLCreateThread() failed in ChunkAndWarpMulti()

John Mitchell mitchelljj98 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 15:12:09 EDT 2010

I am having problems installing the latest gdal on an .rpm based linux
distribution. The pre-packaged gdal (1.4.4) for centos was not
compiled with warp multi-threading, so I have to build from scratch.
This was compiled with python using –with-threads and –with-python.

I have listed the below error when running gdal_merge.  Note:
gdalwarp, gdal_translate, ogr2ogr, gdalinfo I have no errors for
these.

[root at GVWkr01 bin]# gdal_merge.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/local/bin/gdal_merge.py", line 31, in ?

    import gdal

ImportError: No module named gdal

John Mitchell

On 8/25/10, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> John Mitchell wrote:
>> I get the following error when running gdalwarp with the -multi switch:
>>
>> gdalwarp -multi -tr 1.2 1.2 -rc -s_srs EPSG:26917 -t_srs EPSG:26917
>> -co bigtiff=yes  -q "17RMP395060.tif"
>> "/tmp/gvAppTemp/gvApp2/m2.tiftemp"
>>
>> ERROR 1: CPLCreateThread() failed in ChunkAndWarpMulti()
>> ERROR 1: CPLCreateThread() failed in ChunkAndWarpMulti()
>>
>> The -multi switch causes the error but if I take out the -multi switch
>> then the command completes.
>>
>> When I do the same command on an older linux server with the -multi
>> switch then the command does not error off, so it could be that the
>> newer server has a later version of gdal that does not like -multi.
>>
>> The command will work without the -multi switch which I believe is
>> supposed to run the gdalwarp command in multithreaded mode which in
>> theory should be faster.
>>
>> On a 64 bit version of gdal running on a 64 bit linux does performance
>> improve at all if the -multi switch is included and if so how can I
>> prevent this error from occurring when using the -multi switch.
>
> John,
>
> It likely means the GDAL was built without threading support.  If you
> build yourself, consider using the --with-threads configure option.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> warmerdam at pobox.com

John J. Mitchell