[gdal-dev] ArcGIS 10 and GIO driver

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Mon Aug 30 09:26:55 EDT 2010

Matt,

Donno if you are still working on this problem (I've been on vacation) but
here is one possibility.

If the GIO driver uses ArcObjects, it might need to call this new
"LoadVersion" function before making any other ArcObjects calls. I had a
C++/ATL ArcObjects program that worked fine with 9.x but did not work with
10 until I did this:

    // Before making any ArcObjects calls, use IArcGISVersion::LoadVersion
    // load the ArcGIS runtime from the ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 product
    // installation. This is a new requirement introduced in ArcGIS 10.0.

    ArcGISVersionLib::IArcGISVersionPtr
ipVer(__uuidof(ArcGISVersionLib::VersionManager));
    VARIANT_BOOL succeeded;
    HRESULT hr = ipVer->LoadVersion(ArcGISVersionLib::esriArcGISDesktop,
L"10.0", &succeeded);
    if (FAILED(hr))
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "ERROR:
IArcGISVersion::LoadVersion(ArcGISVersionLib::esriArcGISDesktop, L\"10.0\",
...) failed with error 0x%08X. Check that ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 is properly
installed.\n", hr);
        return hr;
    }

You can find more info on this new requirement by googling "ArcGIS 10
LoadVersion" (without quotes).

Good luck,

Jason