[gdal-dev] Re: OpenCL, GDAL, and You

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 6 10:01:39 EST 2010

On 10-12-06 07:10 AM, Konstantin Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what benefit/improvement would the OpenCL integration bring to GDAL?
> Additional functionality or a speedup of existing functions? Probably only
> operations on images and/or rasters are supported; reprojection/warping and
> filtering would be good candidates, right? What concrete operations would be
> supported?

Konstantin,

The OpenCL integration is currently only used to accelerate the warp engine
(gdalwarp, etc).  There are some other areas of GDAL that could potentially
use OpenCL facilities too but no further work has been done.

I will note that for the expensive resamplers Seth has seen very substantial
speedups.  The preliminary plan for Seth's project is documented at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/OpenCLIntegration

We really need to rework that to include "findings and current status".