Re: [gdal-dev] image-io extension

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Sun Dec 12 08:03:08 EST 2010

Even,

Well, you missed that part: "Now we find users asking for changes that are not essential and that break backward
compatibility. Let's see this one here for example:". So, yes. It is "hypothetical" as you said.  I am just passing on a
suggestion from a user. If you are going do radical changes on the GDAL Java wrapper for the next release you could
also take those issue in consideration, although there are "not essential".

>  >
>  > Prepare for change in GDAL 2.0 sound good to me.
>  >
>  > We can have two Java wrapper with a deprecated warning on the older
>  > (maintain it for about a year or two) and the new one would complain with
>  > Java standards and updated to whatever the language have evolved so far.
>
>  You mean maintaining 2 versions of the bindings in the same branch, like we
>  did for the old-gen and new-gen python bindings ? This causes much confusion
>  for users, not mentionning the increased maintenance burden. So I'd prefer if
>  we can avoid this.

 I will follow your arguments on your reply to Simone to get more information.

>  And IMHO GDAL 2.0 isn't necessary a justification to break API. It is more an
>  opportunity. Luckily, there are still ways of making evolutions without
>  breaking stuff ;-)

That is nice to read that.

Regards,

Ivan,