[gdal-dev] Can't make Python binding work

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Sun Dec 12 12:57:22 EST 2010

Martin,

http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/ is a popular location for GDAL binaries and
bindings for Windows. For Python 2.6 on 32-bit Windows, I would recommend
downloading "MSVC2008 (Win32) -stable" from the first table on the page
(i.e. http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/release-1500-gdal-1-7-mapserver-5-6.zip).

In that zip, you will find the GDAL binaries in the bin directory and the
Python bindings in the bin\gdal\python directory. To install the bindings,
you can probably copy the entire contents of \bin\gdal\python including the
osgeo subdir into your Python site-packages directory; if you are using the
Python 2.6 installed by ArcGIS 10, it will be something like
C:\Python26\ArcGIS10\Lib\site-packages.

To get the bindings working, you'll have to configure the GDAL environment
variables and PATH environment variable, so that the bindings can access the
GDAL binaries. If you used GDAL successfully in the past, you know what I'm
talking about.

Note that a bug in ArcGIS 9.3, 9.3.1, and 10 prevents the bindings from
working properly from "in-process" geoprocessing scripts. See the end of
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/PythonGotchas. I was told by an ESRI
developer that this was likely to be fixed in ArcGIS 10 SP1, but have not
received confirmation from him about it, nor have I tested it.

Good luck,

Jason