[gdal-dev] NITF 16bit pixel scaling using NBITS/ABPP

Smart, Gary Gary.Smart at Goodrich.com
Wed Dec 15 06:52:06 EST 2010

We are reading NITF images which occupy the lower 12bits of a 16bit
datatype.  These images clearly have ABPP=12 and NBPP=16 set in the
header.  However, when I use GetMetadataItem("NBITS"), the string
returned is always 'null'.  I have also tried GetMetadataItem("ABPP") -
which also returns 'null'.

Does anyone know how to access this information in the NITF header.  Are
there any recorded problems regarding this?

I am using GDAL version 1.7.1 on SLES10 linux.

Gary