[gdal-dev] 1.8 Release - Need to move!

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 17 11:16:40 EST 2010

Folks,

I've been dragging my feet on release for a couple weeks now because I'm
uncertain about the OGR 64 bit RFC.  Rather than vacillate into new year, I
would like to defer it to 1.9 and start a beta program.   Are there any
objections to me producing a "beta 1" this weekend?  My hope is that we could
have a release candidate available for January 1st after a 2-3 betas.  I
realize we are essentially into the holiday period now and that not everyone
will have time to do testing but I hesitate to let things drag on endlessly.

Do folks think it is desirable to have a release oriented meeting next week,
or should we just discuss by email, proceed through a few betas and then to
a release candidate?

We haven't formalized a concept of release manager and process to the degree
it has been done for MapServer.  But unless someone else really wants to do
it, I'm prepared to act as release manager for 1.8.  Adoption of a release
candidate as a formal release would be done by PSC vote as we do for point
releases.  In theory it would be nice to have a PSC vote on a release schedule
and appointment of a release manager but I'm afraid that might set us back
timewise.  However, if there are objections to proceeding more directly I'm
willing to do so.