[gdal-dev] 1.8 Release - Need to move!

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Dec 22 08:57:10 EST 2010

Selon Jean-Claude Repetto <jrepetto at free.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> At this time, there are 595 active tickets in Trac. Don't you think it
> would be useful to organize a "bug hunting day" to close a maximum
> number of tickets ? Some of them are just small patches, they could be
> closed very quickly. Naturally, this should be done before releasing the
> first beta version.
>
> Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude,

I'm not so sure there are many low-hanging fruits. The size of a patch isn't
necessary a proof of its correctness ;-) Perhaps you could help us and indicate
what tickets you believe to be appropriate for quick closing/patching ?

Out of curiosity, I've just compared with other OSGEO software.
GDAL : 595 open / 3883 total = 15,3 %
MapServer : 899 open / 3595 total = 25 %
QGIS : 597 open / 3363 total = 17,8 %
GEOS : 51 / 390 = 13,1 %
PostGIS : 189 / 723 = 26,1 %

So GDAL is not particularly a bad citizen in that field ;-) Of course this
comparison doesn't prove much. I haven't look how many are just enhancement
requests, dubious bug reports, etc... It also depends on the policy to close
tickets that lack feedback from reporter, etc ...

Best regards,

Even