[gdal-dev] RE: mrsid_lidar -> mrsid

Kirk McKelvey kmckelvey at lizardtech.com
Thu Dec 23 18:46:16 EST 2010

Even,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, starting with v8.0, the MrSID raster and lidar SDKs are packaged together.  This is not to say they are unified - in fact the two SDKs are literally just in there sitting next to each other.  Nevertheless, they are intended to be used together for full treatment of .sid files, and will only grow closer together in future releases.

So my first concern is just for people using the MrSID v8.0 SDK to get full support for MrSID (i.e., raster and lidar) without having to configure two drivers.  Strictly speaking this could be addressed without merging the drivers, simply by updating the build scripts and makefiles (e.g., by searching for a MRSID_LIDAR_DIR if MRSID_DIR is set).  Doing this would be sufficient for the short term and I think achievable for 1.8.  I would preserve the ability to build with past versions of the MrSID SDK and with separate raster/lidar SDKs.

I still would like to look at merging the drivers, but as you said there is not much shared code so this is a longer-term project.  More thoughts on this after the holidays... (and others welcomed in the meantime).

Kirk.