[gdal-dev] gdal_translate as a VRTDataset factory

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Feb 4 18:20:52 EST 2010

Hello,

I needed a way to create virtual datasets in a way similar to what
gdal_translate is doing. I noticed that gdal_translate is basically a
tool to construct a VRTDataset, so I proceeded by transforming
gdal_translate.cc into a VRTDataset builder class.

The result is gdaltranslate.{h,cpp} in
http://meteosatlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/meteosatlib/gdal/trunk/utils/
(I did not deal with subdatasets because it is a part of GDAL I have not
explored yet).

I reckon such a VRTDataset generator could be useful to many, and since
its interface (necessarily) closely matches the way gdal_translate
works, it is also quite easy to learn.

Could it make sense to package GDALTranslate as part of GDAL, and just
rebase gdal_translate off it?

From chats on IRC I get the feeling that it is quite customary to take
"inspiration" from gdal_translate.cpp when creating virtual datasets.

I would love if that happened, because that will guarantee that
updates/fixes to gdal_translate are readily available also to the other
code based on GDALTranslate.

Ciao,

Enrico

--