[gdal-dev] Beginner (load DTED)

Ricardo Cezar Bonfim Rodrigues rikardocezar at msn.com
Tue Feb 9 13:16:48 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm beginner in development using GDAL. So I'd like some advises and

tips, let me explain what I need to do.

I need to load a DTED file level 2 and given the parameters

latitude,longitude and width I must create a region (rectangle) and

find the highest elevation in the grid points inside this rectangle. I

need it to be fast, I don't know exaclty how slow GDAL is, so I need

to understand which strategies to useds to increase de speed of this

routine.

I didn't find source code examples of DTED loading with GDAL, So there

are lot's of doubts I have, such as how GDAL stores the DTED since it

was loaded (in an image file?), how to represent this grid area (a polygonon area with elevation points), how to get the elevation of a point

given (lat, lon).

I'd be glad to receive examples, references and tips about it.

Thanks

Ricardo