[gdal-dev] BigTIFF Overviews ( OVR files )

David Fogel upperoso at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:57:26 EST 2010

Hi:

In the process of moving data into GeoTIFF, I am re-creating pyramids
(OVR files).  The good news: It takes fewer than ten minutes to create
an LZW Horizontal Differenced compressed 3.5 GB file on a Windows 7
box using GDAL 1.70+ ( via Tamas Szekeres site; 64-bit precompiled ).

The OVR files are problematic.  Using gdal_translate, I can resize by
50% in less than ten minutes.  Using gdaladdo, the first layer ( "2" )
takes hours to complete.

This is for SRTM 16-bit data.  It appears that something is amiss.

Tips and tricks?

Thanks!
= David