[gdal-dev] ECW/JPEG2000 on Windows Vista/7

Pinner, Luke Luke.Pinner at environment.gov.au
Mon Feb 15 22:59:25 EST 2010

Hi all,

Not strictly a GDAL issue as such, I'm just posting this to "publish" a
workaround (as I couldn't find much info about this issue) so apologies
in advance.

Using GDAL 1.6.3 (OSGeo4W).

The standard ERDAS ECW/JPEG2000 SDK "redistributables" (NCSEcw.dll
etc...) crash when opening ECW/JP2 rasters on all Win Vista PC's I've
tried (and I've been told also on Win 7).  These are the dlls included
in the precompiled Windows SDK version that *used* to be available for
download from the ERDAS website (now available by request only -
http://www.erdas.com/tabid/84/currentid/1142/default.aspx).

The VC71 versions of the dlls do not cause these crashes. If you have
the precompiled Windows SDK version, these dlls can be found in: <ECW
SDK install dir>\redistributable\vc71.

I have no idea if there are any issues using the VC71 versions, but it
works ok for me.

Regards
Luke

------
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.

------