[Gdal-dev] ECW Hanging

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 8 02:21:33 EST 2010

srweal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing intermittent problems running the FWTools 2.2.6 version of
> GDAL, including ECW support.

Steve,

Generally speaking, I have also had problems with the ECW support in
FWTools.  FWTools is built with a sort of custom copy of the ECW SDK
I hacked together a build for.  I think that may relate to the problem.

I would encourage you to try using OSGeo4W with the ECW plugin instead.
It uses the ECW SDK as distributed by Leica and hopefully will be more
stable.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-gdal-ecw

Also of possible interest, but unlikely related to your particular problem
is this bug I worked on just this week.