[gdal-dev] NITF JPEG2000 compression and Kakadu

Martin Chapman chapmanm at pixia.com
Wed Jan 13 04:10:44 EST 2010

Frank,

In the file NITFDatasetCreate.cpp in the function NITFDatasetCreate() if the
compression option is set to C8 (JPEG2000) it looks like you:

1.	get a handle to an installed J2K driver if available.
2.	test for metadata creation capability.
3.	create the nitf file.
4.	open a new handle to the nitf file on disk.
5.	setup a j2k subfile option based on the new nitf file segment
offset.
6.	call create on the j2k driver with the j2k_subfile option.
7.	return an open handle to the new nitf file.

It seems to me that I could hack my version of GDAL to include support for
doing this with my copy of Kakadu with the exception that I would have to
first create a VRT dataset of my output J2K file and then use CreateCopy()
on the Kakadu driver instead of Create().

Do you think I am missing something here and that it is more difficult then
that?  Does the Kakadu library not have some feature I would need to do
this?

If it can be done, would my approach of using a VRT dataset work?

I only want to create single dataset output.

Best regards,

Martin.