[gdal-dev] Open source vector geoprocessing libraries?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 09:49:02 EST 2010

Jan Hartmann wrote:

> On 13-1-2010 2:33, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> OGR does not provide any spatial indexing layer common to various
>> vector datasets. For many simple formats it performs the brute-force
>> selection.
>>
> Just curious, would it make sense / be possible to implement indexing
> in OGR, something like a
> generalized version of Mapserver's shptree, the "quadtree-based
> spatial index for a shapefiles"?
>
> http://mapserver.org/utilities/shptree.html

It could make sense to have a in-memory index for in-memory geometries.
Pehaps use GiST library(1) (I don't know whether it can use in-memory
indexes) for geometries in an OGRGeometryCollection  or OGRMemLayer if
it's available.

For other formats it might not make sense because OGR is not responsible
for the actual geometries. As have been said, one should use PostGIS
format, which has this functionality built-in, for larger and more
static datasets.

Just my quick thoughts.

Ari

(1) http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/