[gdal-dev] Open source vector geoprocessing libraries?

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Sat Jan 16 13:38:17 EST 2010

On 16-1-2010 16:03, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Jan Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Yes, that is clear, thanks. I see that at the moment only raster files
>> are supported.
>> Would it make sense to do this for vector formats too?
>>
> The VSI layer is available to all parts of GDAL and OGR.
> If you scan source code of OGR drivers, you'll find that this feature
> is already used by, for example, GTM driver:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/gtm/gtm.cpp?rev=17612#L339
>
> IOW, VSI layer is available and not dependant on GDAL or OGR format,
> it's a separate library of common functions.
>
> Best regards,

Does that mean that I can use ogrinfo on a gzipped archive, like
gdalinfo (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/ReadInZip)? This page
says:

"The fact that this new capability is implemented as virtual file
systems imply that it will only work for GDAL drivers supporting the
"large file API""

It would be a nice archive functionality. At the moment I store my
raster files in a directory tree and retrieve information on some or all
of them with small scripts calling gdalinfo and filtering the results. I
know now that I can put the files in a gzip archive, while still be able
to do the same queries. If the same would be possible for vector maps, I
could store everything in one large file for backup.

Jan