[gdal-dev] Reading jpeg 2000 compressed nitfs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 25 23:28:59 EST 2010

James,

I have reviewed nitfdataset.cpp and jpeg2000dataset.cpp
(the JasPer driver) and I believe they are now compatible.
That is, nitf now uses the /vsisubfile/ mechanism to
operate on the jpeg2000 data stream and I see the
JasPer driver now uses the VSI*L API needed to support
the /vsisubfile/ mechanism.

However, most NITF files I have worked with that
had jpeg2000 compression had single large
compressed images, not many small tiles.
The JasPer library does *not* provide an effective
mechanism to read subareas so for a large image
it tends to use as much as 10 times as much memory
as would be needed to hold the decoded image.
This makes it impractical for many geospatial
applications.

So I am still dubious about using it.

Best regards,