[gdal-dev] Re-aligning maps from grid north to true north

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 02:24:35 EST 2010

Gary,

    what do you mean by 'true north'?

    OSGB36 is a Transverse Mercator projection: it is, therefore, automatically
aligned with a (reference) line of longitude, its central meridian.  It is not
aligned to magnetic north: those little diagrams on the maps show the offset to
magnetic north, which is constantly changing; assuming true north to be 90
degrees, where all the lines of longitude meet, then there is no need for a
change in alignment, as the northings of the OSGB36 grid are aligned with their
central meridian.  There is, indeed, a slight error as one moves to the east or
west of the central meridian, but this is so small within the latitudes of Great
Britain that any correction would be too small to notice: this is a design
feature of OSGB36.  It is this error that requires Ireland to have its own
projection: it is sufficiently far west that the error is noticeable there.

    Everything that has been said on this list is correct for reprojection: my
query is whether you actually need to re-project these data.

Best wishes,

Peter