[gdal-dev] Bigtiff

Helge Morkemo hmorkemo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 04:00:03 EDT 2010

Hi
I'm creating a huge bigtiff file, it's 169000x151000 pixels (23.77
Gigapixels, rgb) from .net using WriteRaster.

In the beginning it seemed to be producing output with good performance, but
it is getting slower and slower.
The production time seems to be increasing in steps.
Is there a caching problem for huge files?

The first percent of the file was produced in 2 minutes. Acceptable.
>From 10 % to 11 % took 5 minutes
>From 37 % to 38 % also took 5 minutes
>From 38 % to 39 % took 50! minutes
>From 48 % to 49 % took 46 mminutes
>From 49.4% to 50.4 % (That's where I am right now) took 9 hours, 29 minutes.

Any hints? Am I doing something wrong (I just create the dataset and start
writing), or is the caching mechanism not suited for huge files?

-
Helge