[gdal-dev] Pyramid level 1 in OVR pyramid file

jbu311 julianbui at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:34:58 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I understand that the first pyramid level (subimage 0) in an OVR pyramid
file is missing because this saves a lot of space compared to how RRD
pyramid files are built.

For those of you who use the pyramid files to display/zoom images, do you
rebuild the first pyramid level or do you zoom out from the source image?

The problem I have with rebuilding the first pyramid level is that this
level takes the longest to generate.  The point of pyramid files is to save
generation time.  Why would they leave out the level that takes the longest?
This means I have to spend a lot of time regenerating it, defeating the
entire purpose of pyramids.  The levels > 1 are relatively much quicker to
generate.

Any experience/words of advice in implementing zooming with .ovr files in
level 1 would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Julian