[gdal-dev] highly compressed vector format for points

Ragi Burhum ragi at burhum.com
Wed Jul 7 12:52:17 EDT 2010

Hello Peter,

The approach of scaling values into integers, if I recall correctly, is also
used in the transfer protocol for ArcSDE. I have considered this as an
option and was wondering if any of the non-ESRI datasources used that
approach.

I have seen the second method you describe being used for avoiding "small
feature shakiness" (yes, I made that word up) in 3D globes when zoomed-in
too close.

Thank you Peter for the response - I will definitely keep these options in
the bag of tricks if I end up having to implement a new datasource.

Thanks,

- Ragi