[gdal-dev] OGR Driver for Norwegian SOSI standard

relet thomas.hirsch at statkart.no
Mon Jul 12 06:46:04 EDT 2010

Dear all,

During the last month, we have developed an OGR driver for the Norwegian
SOSI standard[1]. It has reached a state[2] where it can be used to read and
use the basic features from SOSI files in OGR-enabled application like
mapserver. The standard itself is the national standard for representation
of geographic data. It is quite extensive, up to covering typographic
settings for label placement - hence a full access to all features via OGR
probably won't be possible anyway.

We would like to contribute the driver to the OGR library, and maybe have
someone review the code from an OGR perspective. What is the best way to
proceed? I could of course append some code to the ticket, but that doesn't
seem to be a long-term solution. :)

The driver is depending on an external library, FYBA[3] for reading (and
eventually writing) SOSI files. That library is currently released as binary
VC++ DLL only, but is written to support a variety of architectures. I have
ported it to linux, and we are working on releasing the source code.
Hopefully that'll just take some more time. Taking that into account, it
worksforme on both Windows and Linux, and will be continuously extended in
the near future.

Where should I put the code and who wants to read it?

Best regards,
Thomas

[1] http://www.statkart.no/nor/SOSI/SOSI_in_English/
[2] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3638