[gdal-dev] Building debug Python bindings (e.g. _gdal.pyd) with MS Visual Studio

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Sat Jul 17 11:45:43 EDT 2010

This is probably a question for Tamas Szekeres and Howard Butler, but I'm
emailing the whole list in case others are knowledgeable or interested.

As part of trying to figure out http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3672, I
would like to step through GDAL's SWIG-generated Python bindings in the
Visual Studio debugger. I downloaded release-1310-dev.zip, started a VS 2003
command line, and ran this:

C:\gdal_release-1310-dev> nmake gdal gdal-python DEBUG=YES

I noticed that .pdb files were generated for all of the apps such as
ogr2ogr.exe. I noticed that gdal17.dll is now 9 MB rather than 6 MB,
suggesting that it includes debug symbols internally. But the Python
bindings such as _gdal.pyd _gdal_array.pyd are the same size as the release
build and I could not find any .pdb files. I have not tried the debugger yet
but I'm guessing it will not find any symbols.

Am I correct? If so, could you please advise me on how to build the Python
bindings with debug symbols? Any other hints for stepping through the GDAL
Python bindings or GDAL library code with Visual Studio?

Thanks for your help,

Jason