[gdal-dev] gdal_merge is very slow

Greg Coats gregcoats at mac.com
Sun Jul 18 13:58:22 EDT 2010

On Jul 18, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Leith Bade wrote:

> kdu_compress also has a memory limit at 2 GB

Not true. Based on your comment, I suspect that you are using a version of Kakadu that is more than 3 years old, or that was deliberately compiled for a 32 bit environment.

Since version 6.0, released on 15 Aug 2007 (essentially 3 years ago), Kakadu has included makefiles for 32 and 64 bit environments. Since then, I compile Kakadu with Makefile-MAC-x86-64-gcc, and this builds 64 bit applications, that automatically support and use more than 2 GB RAM.

I suggest that you use Kakadu version 6.4, compiled for 64 bits, because it adds to kdu_compress the -progress option, that allows the user to ask for a progress report, at a user specified interval. For example, every 1000 lines
kdu_compress -i in.tif -o out.jp2 Creversible=yes -progress 1000
Copying Geo  tag info, size =     387
        Progress with current tile row = 20.000000%
        Progress with current tile row = 40.000000%
        Progress with current tile row = 60.000000%
        Progress with current tile row = 80.000000%
        Progress with current tile row = 100.000000%
    Finished processing 1 of 1 tile rows
    Initiating final codestream flush ...
Generated 1 tile-part(s) for a total of 1 tile(s).
Greg
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcoats/jp2.html