[gdal-dev] RFC 29: OGR Set Desired Fields

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 21 11:18:05 EDT 2010

Jez Walters wrote:
> Frank,
>

> If we "connect this to the -select option of ogr2ogr" as you suggest, it
> would probably be helpful to specify fields by name rather than by number in
> order to accommodate the OS MasterMap data.
 >
> At the risk of repeating myself from another thread, the OS MasterMap
> Topology Layer vector data has identical field names (for any given layer)
> in all data chunks, but the field numbers are different in different chunks.
> Just to complicate matters, some fields are entirely missing in some data
> chunks too!  :-(

Jez,

With all due respect:

  o The -select already uses names, which can be internally converted
    to field indexes within ogr2ogr.  Users don't ever give numbers for
    fields.
  o Within *one* layer the fields are consistent.  I don't think the
    issue with different field lists and ordering between gml files
    has any real bearing on the "set desired fields" RFC.